Friday, September 14, 2007

Time Keeps On Passing

It is with some sadness that I wanted to note the passing of author Madeleine L'Engle. I saw the news a few days ago and wanted to write a little bit about the influence that her books had on me.

I don't remember exactly when it was that I read A Wrinkle in Time, but I was still in grade school at the time. I was captivated by the story of the Murry family and their travels through space and time. I eagerly read the next two books in the series before I lost track of the Murrys and O'Keefes. Now, my interest in reading more of her works has been sparked.

I especially enjoyed how she blended the elements of science, magic and religion in her books. Her quote that these three are are facets or reflections of a single deeper reality is pretty much my own belief. I can see that many aspects of my own spiritual and intellectual journey thus far are reflective of the same conviction.

Here is an article talking about L'Engle's relationship with Christianity.

No comments: