Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Semester Done

Well, as of yesterday, my semester is complete! I am glad that it's over. 2 of the classes went very well, the other one not so. It's not worth it for me to get overly perturbed about it though. At the worst, I will just take the class again with a different professor.

In other news, I've been scratching my itch to learn how to knit socks 2 at a time on 2 circular needles. It's fun and I think I've finally found the cure for my Second Sock Syndrome! The alpaca/silk yarn for the Rambling Leaves Shawl arrived and I am looking forward to getting that started. I am exercising some self-control in not casting on for that until I get some other stuff finished first.

My next dream projects are to make myself some convertible mittens/gloves and a Lopi sweater. I love the Icelandic designs (I have a bit of an Iceland fetish anyway) and I like that they're done in bulky yarn so they knit up fast. I am just trying to decide which one to make. Should it be this one? (my favorite so far)



Or this one?



More complicated:



Monochromatic:



Or if I decide to go for texture rather than colorwork:



I am taking votes and suggestions about this in the comments.

5 comments:

ColorJoy LynnH said...

Congrats on getting through the term. Sometimes the ending is reward enough. Glad you have some time to think about creative endeavors now.

I think I like the first one and the monochromatic. Depends on if you want to buy a lot of different colors, really... sometimes that can spike the price quite a bit, not always.

Colorwork is so satisfying... and Lopi is really lightweight so the heavy sweater is warm but not overpowering.

I just found a bag with 10 balls of Lopi in it, forgot I got it when Rae was closing it out. I think I was going to do a "Not Your Mohter's Suit Coat" from Sally Melville's Purl Stitch, it's all turquoise (no shock).

Hope to see you around during this end-of-year celebratory time. Maybe at Rae's reopening on Jan 2?

Jon said...

Hi Lynn and thanks for your vote. It turns out that there is a version of the one I labeled monochromatic done in blue shades, which I think I like even more than the first one. I am really going to exercise self-control with this one though. Having 5 projects going at once would be too much, I think.

On the 2nd, we will be flying back from Christmas break, so I will miss Rae's grand opening. I will be in to check out the new space ASAP though.

Anonymous said...

I vote for Sweater #1.
karen, David's friend in TX

Jon said...

Hey Karen, thanks for your comment! Several other folks have voted for #1 as well (not on here though). I *do* like they way it looks and think it would look good on me.

By the way, are you on Ravelry yet?

Anonymous said...

your socks are looking very, very good. For your sweater I like the black and grays and white.

Have fun.