Monday, March 17, 2008

Getting started on another one of my goals for '08

Today I have started on my first sweater. It's going to be a seamless Icelandic yoke style done in blue and green heathered Lopi yarn. I am going to use the Zimmerman Percentage System to get the sizing right and pretty much make it up as I go for the color patterning. The nice thing about Lopi yarn is that the knitting goes quickly, since the yarn is so bulky! I pretty much have the ribbing for the body done already.

UPDATE: I now have the body over halfway done.

UPDATE 2: I'm now working on the sleeves, using the same 2-on-2-circs technique that I've been using for socks. I'm past the forearm shaping and into the straight stretch up to the underarms.

3 comments:

ColorJoy LynnH said...

Good for you!!! That sweater will be warm and stylish. I have a thick sweater that I knit, which goes with me to every music festival. I made it just for that purpose, as it gets cold in the woods after dark, and I'm a wimpy citygrrl.

Last year when it was 36F degrees in the tent (3rd week of Sept), I slept in that sweater (2 strands of Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride worsted held together at 2.85st/in). Was mighty glad I'd taken the effort to make it!!! Brrrr.

Anonymous said...

Jon, I'm not up on the percentage system. I'm taking it that it's bottom up raglan?
karen, dave's e-mail friend in TX

Jon said...

Hi Karen,

It is bottom up, but not raglan. It's a Icelandic/Norwegian-style yoked sweater with colorwork around the chest area.

The Zimmerman Percentage System is a way to design your own sweater in any style, any size. Basically, you measure your chest/bust, add your desired amount of ease, multiply by gauge and there's your number of stitches to cast on. Everything else (neck opening, armhole depth, etc) is a percentage of this number. The details can be found in "Knitting Without Tears" as referenced in an earlier post.