Thursday, November 15, 2007

Fawkes and Shedir

Well, the first version of the flame chevron hat pattern that I mentioned before is done. I decided to name the pattern Fawkes, continuing along the fiery theme. Here's how it looks:



I generally like how it turned out, but there are a couple of things that I'm planning to change. I want to find a darker red/purple yarn to make it in, for one thing. I'm willing to take suggestions on that! I'd also like to make it slightly larger and maybe adjust the cap shaping. I've already figured out how I'll change the repeats for a larger version. Here's how the hat looks being worn:



I plan to write up the pattern, but I think that I will wait until my Ravelry invite arrives to actually post it. (Only 4003 3713 2908 people ahead of me in line!) In the meantime, I have cast on for Shedir, done in Nashua Handknits Cilantro color 014. This is for a friend who is battling breast cancer right now. As lovely as the pattern is, I wish there were no need for it...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SHMILY

ColorJoy LynnH said...

There is a good reddish-purple in Nashua Creative Focus Worsted (singles, wool/alpaca) which I got at Rae's. It's worth a look, I like it a lot.

There are also several purples in Elsabeth Lavold Silky Wool, which has white flecks of silk and would have to be held with two strands together to get a worsted-weight gauge, if I guess right. It's softer than the Noro or Nashua yarns, though.

Jon said...

As you saw, I wound up using Silk Garden and I liked how it turned out. The next time I make this pattern, I may try using a yarn that shows off the stitch definition and pattern better (either a solid or one with subtle variegation). It almost seems like the flame chevron gets lost in the changing colors.