Friday, August 24, 2007

The Fall Semester Approacheth

This morning I went up to Mt Pleasant to do my grad assistant training. There were parts of it that I found interesting and informative, but there were also parts that seemed a bit boring to me. I think that this is probably because of my pre-existing interests in learning and memory research, as well as different learning styles and perceptual/cognitive psychology.

More interestingly, I went ahead and purchased my textbooks. The books for Real Analysis (MTH 632) and Combinatorics I (MTH 578) look especially interesting. The book for Applied Statistical Methods (STA 580) seems like a massive brick!

This semester I intend to experiment with using SuperMemo to provide continuous review and recall of the material for my classes. My plan is to enter the class material into SuperMemo collections right after my morning classes and make it part of my daily repetitions.

I have had a good experience thus far using the software to help me with vocabulary acquisition for Spanish, Russian, Toki Pona and lojban. I have also used it to help with remembering various bits and pieces of music theory and statistics. I look forward to using it for my classes!

No comments: