Monday, August 20, 2007

Learning Spanish

Our recent trip to Mexico has reawakened and strengthened a long-standing desire of mine to learn more Spanish. Ever since my first exposure to the language in 3rd grade, I have felt an attraction to it which I have never seriously followed up on. Now I want to.

I propose to use a modification of the method that Michal Wojcik describes as The Norsk Experiment. I am going to use a monolingual Spanish dictionary right away -- the Diccionario Practico del Estudiante -- and an easy Spanish novel -- Harry Potter y la Piedra Filosofal.

Two differences in the method that I plan to use: I am using Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish to help with the grammar and to quickly build passive recognition vocabulary, and I plan to add vocab words to a SuperMemo collection, in the form of sentence-items. More about my experiences with SuperMemo in a subsequent post...

I will post updates of my progress as I go!

No comments: